Attributed to James Woodward (1769-1839)
Mahogany, poplar, juniper
H: 23.5″ W: 20.5″; D: 15.5″
A classical cellaret with a typical Norfolk style foot and expressing the Norfolk aesthetic during the classical period. The cellaret retains the original dividers and survives in excellent condition with a mellow surface and undisturbed secondary surfaces.
James Woodward was working in Norfolk as an importer, warehouser and cabinetmaker as early as 1795 but most of his surviving furniture was made during the period 1815 to 1830. He supplied clients in Norfolk and the surrounding area, including Humerston Skipworth of Mecklenburg County with his shop made furniture. He advertised as far away as Richmond, and appears to have grown into Norfolk's most prominent cabinetmaker.