A cast iron spreadwing eagle clutching a cornucopia and an olive branch in its talons in an early gilded and painted surface. The eagle was a counterweight on the Columbian Printing Press, invented by George Clymer in Philadelphia in 1813. The Columbian was a revolutionary lever-operated replacement to the old, wooden screw presses in use in the early 19th century.
The eagle is highly unusual in holding the symbols of peace and plenty instead of the more traditional quiver of arrows. Excellent condition with minor surface wear.